Today marks nine months until Christmas Day. To that it into perspective it’s worth remembering that one-quarter of a year has already passed since the last one. So why am I on about Christmas before we have even had the Easter weekend?
If your business sells products and services to consumers, chances are that December is your busiest month. Consider the figures from Christmas 2012:
- John Lewis reported a 44% growth in e-commerce sales from December 2011
- Total UK retail sales were up just 0.3% on 2011, but e-commerce sales grew by 15.5% over the same period.
- 24% of UK shoppers made at least one purchase using their mobile or tablet
With e-commerce becoming a significant part of your turnover, you need to have all of your products written up and posted on your website ready to be snapped up by eager shoppers. But with increased customer demand, comes increased pressure to perform all those other routine business operations. Which of course get in the way of preparing your website.
So why should you be thinking about your web content now?
- You cannot guarantee that you will have time to do it nearer Christmas
- You stand a better chance of catching customers who are looking to beat the rush by shopping early
- You can get your marketing efforts planned and ready for launch at the appropriate time
- You can spread the workload out, making it more manageable
The reality is, the sooner you start thinking about your Christmas web content, the more time you have to get it right. And the better your web and marketing content, the more profitable your efforts will prove to be.
If your business needs help preparing web content or other marketing materials in time for Christmas, please drop me a line. I’m great at short deadlines too, but for the best results I always recommend getting started early!